Monday, February 07, 2011

No Common Sense

Once Bear gets set on something, he is focused on it like a laser. His latest thing is to earn enough money to buy a Wii gaming system, which costs about $200. He has it all figured out -- and one part of his strategy is to earn $3 by doing extra chores every day. You have never seen a 10-year-old boy more diligent and excited by his chores. The kids earn $2 an hour for extra chores, with the time based on about how long it would take an adult to complete the task.

Today he made everyone's cold lunches for school tomorrow (a 75 cent task). When I checked his work, I noticed he had wrapped the sandwiches in aluminum foil.

"Why didn't you use the plastic sandwich boxes?"

"Because you said not to put sandwiches in them when they were wet." (From being washed out.)

"Well, you could have dried them!"

"You didn't tell me that!"

"It seemed like common sense...."

"Yeah, but I don't have common sense." A snort at that from me, then an emendation from Bear: "Well, I have it. I just don't use it."

Yes, he was laughing as he said that. So far, he has earned or saved $11. Go, Bear, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment