Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Strategic Shopping Update

Well, it was windy enough to fly our kite today, and I got some good photos and video of the kids doing just that. I will post them sometime when our media computer is free.

However, I am here to report the final results of our March strategic shopping experiment. Remember that our average grocery bill from a sample of three random months last year was about $850. That included household items that we bought at Target (since I couldn't separate those out from my data). Here are the results:

Week 1............$213.66
Week 2............$163.00
Week 3............$165.00
Week 4............$138.81
Week 5............$    3.57
TOTAL............$683.38

That's about $167 below our average. That includes about $36.79 in coupon savings. (That's a conservative estimate, since some of the coupons don't show up on the store receipts.)

All in all, not bad -- but not as good as I had hoped, especially given the amount of time I have invested in this. I'd like to see a $250 monthly savings -- as well as a decrease in the amount of time I am investing in it.

Since I am still on a learning curve with this, I'm going to try it for one more month. I'll report back at the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment