Monday, June 20, 2011

How green does your garden grow?

After all the work I did relocating those garden beds, and making new ones, I'm happy to report that things are generally coming along very well in our little garden. We planted a whole bed of lettuce -- no need to worry about cutting lots of it for salads. There is truly nothing better than eating a salad of buttercrunch lettuce, red leaf lettuce, parsley, and chives that you just cut ten minutes ago. Too bad all the lettuce is shot by the time the tomatoes come in.

Here is the lettuce bed. Peppers and radishes
are in the far part of the bed; lettuce in the
foreground. Peas will grow up the trellis
netting.

A closeup of the lettuce, with a nice view of the peas.
You can't see them, but I interplanted carrots. By the time
the lettuce is done, the carrots should be nice and tall.

And here are those radishes; we grew a mix of different kinds.
We have about fifteen tomato plants, so I am hoping for a bumper crop this year. I grew them from seed. Unfortunately, I'd labeled what types they were by row, on the outside of the tray, so that when I moved them around, I lost track of which plant was which. Oh well, should be very surprising when they all come up!

The berries -- the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries -- are all running several weeks behind. We will have no apples this year. Apparently the Macoun, which bore heavily last year, alternates between heavy crops and light crops. This year we didn't even get flowers, which may be why the Golden Crisp isn't producing any fruit either (lack of pollination). Oh well. Better luck next year.

We have some additions: I brought home a grape vine that is supposed to be excellent -- super sweet grapes developed for Minnesota. I also bought a Northland cherry tree.

I do like my fruit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment