Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hurrah for 2008!

The news has been full of retrospectives on 2008, mostly along the lines of, "Good riddance to a bad year!" However, my favorite retrospective appeared not too long ago in Mutts. I can't reproduce the comic here, but it went something like . . . "Well, goodbye to 2008!  . . . Spring came, and flowers grew! . . . The sun sparkled on waves! . . . Bees pollinated, birds hatched, butterflies fluttered! . . . What a year!"

The strip startled me into the realization that it really has been a good year--for all those reasons and more. So here is my list of blessings from 2008, in no particular order:
  • B received his first Communion and Reconciliation, and gave both two thumbs up.
  • J finally left diapers behind for the wonderful world of toilets (that alone should make my year)
  • M's first stories and drawings are a delight
  • Speaking of stories, I began work on a children's book about bellybuttons that I hope to finish in the New Year
  • Mmmm, tomatoes! We had a bumper crop this year, in several different varieties
  • I boxed up nearly 18 boxes of junk for storage in the basement
  • Ashley Cleveland's new album, which I am listening to as I write this, is a bit of musical joy
  • So many good things are happening at our local parish, including an affort to revitalize faith formation that is finally taking hold and the blossoming of the parenting group that I started with a few friends last year.
  • The children continue to grow in faith. Halloween night, M said: "I want to become a saint when I grow up." B said, "Me too." And J said, "I don't want to be a saint! I want to be a mom when I grow up!" B and M have the Nicene Creed almost memorized, and ask wonderful questions.
  • Hey, we're financially solvent--barely, admittedly, but at least we can claim to be better financial managers than, oh, AIG, Morgan Stanley, Bear Stearns, CitiBank, the Federal Reserve, and the SEC. Combined.
 Yep, 2008 was quite a year. Here's to 2009.

1 comment:

  1. And you sent us a Christmas card! We loved hearing from you and knowing that all was well in the W-D family. Our big news is that Elizabeth (Clare's next sister) became engaged yesterday....an army guy she met in Iraq. I guess as some kind of tribute to the fact she's in the Navy, he gave her the ring on the top deck of the Midway....not quite as romantic as in front of the church where Conal asked me to marry him but perhaps more meaningful to someone in the military. First wedding in the family since 1996 when our son married. More details to come. Jean

    ReplyDelete